Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Staphylococcus aureus


Hello there!
You can call me S. aureus.
I am a Gram Positive cocci (round) bacteria.
I am also known as 'golden staph' because I form little yellow spots when I'm grown in a lab.

Sometimes I can be a special type called "Methicillin resistant S. aureus" (or MRSA) and it is VERY VERY hard to get rid of.
I live naturally in the noses and throats of many people.

I cause pus filled infections anywhere I can get into.
Specifically, I love skin, breasts, surgery or wounds, heart valves (endocarditis) and blood.

I am the most common cause of joint and bone infections.
I can also cause Staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome or Staphylococcal toxic shock syndrome.

7 comments:

Patris.Timoris said...

I am so glad you finally did Golden Staph.

Anonymous said...

Great blog! I am not a microbiologist, but my responsibilities at work often require that I understand the difference between a cocci and a rod, Gram-negative and a Gram-positive, and which organisms are "objectionable". Your blog is very well done, informative and fun.

Thanks. Keep it going!

Anonymous said...

i loved your blog
its in my favorites
:DDD

Hitesh mamgain said...

Hi .. Great ... and today i was doing some imaging work on S.aureus... its an intriguing organism. Will post about it on my blog.... http://atomicforcemicroscopy.blogsopt.com
great work
Keep it up

Pamela said...

By chance, can I adopt him for someone else and send him in a basket to be strategically placed on someone's doorstep? Just checking.

Love to site!

Anonymous said...

I think we need a separate drawing for the nasty MRSA strain. Maybe one with a tired looking nurse in it somewhere. - mark

Anonymous said...

thanks from compaq hstnnib12 battery
compaq nc4200 battery
compaq nc4400 battery